Kansas Judicial Branch Home
Kansas Judicial Branch

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who are you?

A. The Kansas Disciplinary Administrator's Office is a state agency in the judicial branch working under the direction of the Kansas Supreme Court. It is our responsibility to investigate complaints against Kansas attorneys and recommend appropriate discipline for violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct.

Q. How are you funded?

A. We receive no taxpayer or general fund revenue. The office is funded entirely by annual registration fees assessed to all attorneys licensed to practice law in Kansas.

Q. Are you affiliated with the Kansas Bar Association?

A. No, not officially, although we do work together on many projects of mutual interest. The Kansas Bar Association is the largest of many voluntary organizations of lawyers in Kansas. The disciplinary system relies on hundreds of dedicated attorneys who volunteer their time to serve on ethics complaint investigation committees, ethics opinion advisory committees and the Kansas Board for Discipline of Attorneys.

Q. How can I get a copy of the ethics rules that apply to Kansas attorneys?

A. The best source is the Rules Adopted by the Supreme Court of Kansas Annotated, available from the Kansas Law Librarian, Kansas Judicial Center, 301 West 10th St., Topeka, Kansas 66612-1598. The Rules book is published annually. The Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct are found at Supreme Court Rule 226. This is the only source to locate the court decisions that refer to each rule.

Rules can be found at /rules/default.asp.

Q. How do I file a complaint to start an investigation of a Kansas attorney I believe has engaged in misconduct?

A. Complaints must be in writing and signed by the complainant. If a few documents would help to explain the complaint, copies can be attached. Please do not send original documents or voluminous quantities of documents. If additional documentation is needed for the investigation, you will be contacted.

Complaints should be sent to: Disciplinary Administrator, 701 SW Jackson St., First Floor, Topeka, KS 66603 [Check the section on: "What to do if a complaint arises about lawyer services" for full text of our informational brochure.].