Kansas Judicial Branch Home
Kansas Judicial Branch

The Kansas Supreme Court
301 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka Kansas 66612-1507

Office of Judicial Administration
Fax:  785.296.7076
Email: info@kscourts.org

Appellate Clerk's Office
Fax:  785.296.1028
Email: appellateclerk@kscourts.org

The 30th Judicial District Small Claims Information

  • Small claims court is only for simple cases to recover money or property worth less than $4,000.00.
  • You cannot be represented by a lawyer in small claims.
  • No person can file more than 20 small claims cases in one calendar year.
  • The sheriff's office charges a $5.00 fee to personally serve a summons.
  • The filing fees for a small claims are listed on the "Docket Fees " page on this site.

Filing a Small Claims Case:

  • Go to the Clerk of the District Court office in the County where the defendant resides.
  • Have with you the name and address of the person being sued.
  • The Clerk will provide you with a small claims filing packet.
  • You may fill out the petition in the office or take it home to complete.
  • When you turn in the completed petition, you must pay the filing fee and sheriff's charge if the summons is to be served personally.
  • The Clerk will process the petition and set a trial date for your case.